Our summer has not gone anything like how I planned it would. Oh yes, I had plans. I had plans of what to do when the kids said "I'm bored." I had plans to make a trip once a week to somewhere we hadn't been before, places we rarely go to, or somewhere just plain fun. It was going to be an awesome summer.
Was. Key word.
But plans and reality hardly ever see eye to eye. And so you have to roll with the punches. Plans need to be changed. Or removed altogether.
Our summer has been plagued with lice, a broken AC unit and illness. Which means play dates have been cancelled, hunkering down in the one cool room of the house is a daily thing, combing and searching heads for signs that the lice has returned should be daily, but honestly, that gets tiring after 2 months.
We've had more time together. When it's hot, we sit in my room and play candyland or chutes and ladder. Easier said than done when you've got 6 fans pointed at you -- the pieces fly everywhere! The kids have surprised me by getting along wonderfully. Bri doesn't scream and run away when she sees me coming at her with a comb. Annaleise has turned into the best helper a mom could ask for. And Eric is so laid-back about everything.
I'm pretty sure the lice is gone. The AC should be fixed by the end of this week or early next. Hopefully we'll all be healthy again in the next couple of days. And by the time everything is the way it should be, it will be time to do the back to school shopping and everything else that comes with a new school year.
If there's one thing that did go according to plan, it was the sleeping in. For that, I am grateful.
Wednesday, July 24, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



1 comment:
Wow, what a summer you have had! It's funny how nothing ever goes according to plan, and yet the best memories are created from said casualties. I bet your kids are loving playing games with you and that one cool room seems to have some sort of contention repellent right now. I love that you are focusing on the bright side of things that are undoubtedly overwhelming.
Post a Comment