Sunday, February 10, 2013

How It All Went Down

Today was the day. The day I've been dreading all week. It came. I didn't go to bed Saturday night and magically wake up Monday morning. Bummer.

I took an Ambien last night at 11:30. Laid down around midnight. Pedro read Count of Monte Cristo to me to help me fall asleep, took less than a minute I think. I was tossing and turning before 6am, and fully awake by 6:30.

I went into mute mode, where I'll listen but won't respond verbally. Pedro kept trying to talk to me and all I could do was nod or shake my head. I made myself busy by helping the kids get ready and when I couldn't stall anymore I started getting myself ready.

I was straightening my hair when the panic attack hit. I could feel it coming on--tightness in chest, stomach ache, and then my breathing began to go. I started pounding on the bathroom walls, the door, the counter whatever I could reach. By the time Pedro found me I was crouched down on the floor sobbing and hyperventilating. Pedro must be some kind of miracle worker because he got me breathing again pretty fast. It only took a few minutes to pull myself together.

For some dumb reason I continued to get ready for church instead of crawling back into bed and vowing to never leave.

At quarter to nine we left for church. I was gripping my left hand with my right--squeezing and twisting it. Pedro offered me his hand but I told him no--he recently hurt it in a basketball game and it was swollen and bruised. I told him I didn't want to hurt him. I think he appreciated that.

I could feel my breathing starting to slip during the 3 minute drive to the church so I practiced my breathing techniques---5 counts in, hold for 2, 5 counts out, hold for 2.

We got to church, we unloaded the kids and walked toward this building that has become a visual representation of my fear. I walked up the steps, walked through the double set of doors and took a few steps towards the chapel. And then I looked up. I saw people. My breathing was gone, I was in pain. I turned and went right back out the doors. I leaned against some rails and everything I'd been holding in came bursting out. Uncontrollable sobbing and hyperventilating. Pedro was right there, holding me up and telling me to breathe. I just kept falling apart. I was aware of a family walking up to the church. I have no idea who they were and that bugs me--I don't like when people see me like that--I don't mind talking about it, but being seen--that's no good.

I'm not sure how long it took to pull myself together but eventually I got my breathing under control and Pedro took me to the van. He offered to drive me home, but I said no--he was going to be late--he had to talk too. So I stayed in the car. He wouldn't give me the keys. I have an insane urge when I'm panicking for alcohol. I've never had a drink in my life, but when I'm falling apart I really want something strong. My mom told me this week that alcoholism runs in the family. Great. So I was confined to the car. I did make it in to the church a while later. I found an empty classroom and sat in there playing Temple Run so I could at least hear Petey give his talk--being supportive in my own little way. After he spoke I went back to the car. Pedro came out and found me when he was all done.

I married a great guy. He brought me home. He had put together an "emergency kit" of all my favorite chocolate candies. He asked me what I needed. I told him I needed to get out. So we walked around the neighborhood a few times and then pulled out the moped and went cruising around town. I should ditch church more often. By the time he left to go pick up the kids I was feeling almost normal again.

I'm not back to normal yet. The doorbell just rang and I ran into another room because I don't want to see people right now. I'm in hermit mode. I'm not sure how long this phase will last. Guess we'll wait and see.

If nothing else, I didn't die. Three panic attacks in three days and I didn't die.

5 comments:

Cardon Times said...

I was praying for you this morning. I am glad you survived despite everything your body put you through. And you put your best foot forward. And on the bright side of things you probably won't be asked to speak for awhile and you got to that point without having to give your talk. ;) I hope everything gets back to normal soon.

maynardmoments said...

Sounds like a rough day, but you have an amazing husband! You are awesome.

Pamela Brown said...

That is so hard!!!! I am sorry that you had to go through that. You are a brave person to agree to do it, many people would have said no. I am glad that Pedro was so supportive:)

Amy said...

You really did marry a great guy. He is perfect for you, so supportive and understanding. I am so happy that you are now on the upside, and hope that your roller coaster continues to climb up.

Amy said...

Also, I just want to let you know, your writing is amazing. I have no fear of public speaking. Never have. But as I read this, and even still now, I can feel my chest tighter, and the fear in me right now.