Wednesday, August 15, 2012

The Best Day--Part 2

The Polynesian Cultural Center. That's where we went after hiking up to Manoa Falls. And it was pure awesomeness! Even the bus ride up was awesome, because we had an awesome tour guide person dude, who was, awesome. Like my overuse of the word 'awesome'? Anyways, we laughed almost the entire way. Heard stories, found out where some film making happened.


.


The PCC. It was cool and I have no idea how to even write about it. We didn't get there until later in the day so we didn't have time to visit all the islands, but we did learn about 4: New Zealand, Tonga, Samoa and Fiji.

Samoa had to be my favorite: watching a coconut get milked, learning that men do all the cooking and then watching some young men climb trees--ya it was great.




We laughed almost non-stop through the Tonga presentation, there was a lot of energy in the crowd and the participants were as funny as the presenters.



New Zealand was fun to watch and listen to. Their traditions were neat to learn about and we finally learned what the facial expressions were all about.



And Fiji--well, that one was just kinda--weird in a neat way. Learning about cannabilism and what it meant to be the chief's 'favorite wife'--including the perks and disadvantages. Perks: sleeping in the same hut as the chief (but on the floor). Disadvantage: if the chief dies, you die. Not sure I'd ever want to be the favorite wife.



We had dinner there. Yum. I tried a whole bunch of different foods-including something that included a banana--and it was yummo. We did some shopping and walking around and then saw the show.

The show, HA: Breath of Life, was amazing! It was fun to watch all the dancing and singing and everything else involved. Most definitely awed by the flame throwers. Too cool.

Awesome. Just pure awesome.

2 comments:

Amy said...

I always love learning about different cultures and the Polynesian ones are fascinating! Probably because i know the least about them. :)
I have never really wanted to go to Hawaii, but now i desperately want to go! You have made me very jealous and so glad you and Pedro got to go and experience it. What a fun way to bond with your spouse.

Pamela Brown said...

That does sound AWESOME:) I agree I wouldn't want to be the favorite wife of the chief I think I would purposefully be a pain so I would be his least favorite. I am glad you guys had fun!!!!