Monday, August 20, 2012

Back to School!

I'm not one to cry when my kids leave for kindergarten or start another year at school. I do miss them when they're gone, but I cherish moments of quiet and some time to read a book, paint my toes or even put deoderant on in peace.

That said:

I've got a 3rd grader!

And a Kindergartener!

Both of them woke up with smiles on their face and ready to go! They got ready so fast I was left wondering why I woke them up so early. There were no nerves, just lots and lots of excitement--even for homework!

We walked Eric into his class. He put his backpack away and sat at his seat and promptly picked up his pencil, wrote his name on his paper and then started to color. Pedro snapped a couple of pictures and I tried to tell Eric good-bye, but was mostly ignored. That boy was ready to get going!

We then walked Annaleise upstairs to her classroom--and she is beyond thrilled to be upstairs. However when we made the move to follow her into her room she rolled her eyes and gave us the "don't you dare" look of death. So we hurriedly got a picture of her with a boy she knows from our neighborhood outside her room. I don't think we got a good-bye from her either.

And that was that. I was so happy with their eagerness to go (and my newfound freedom) that I was tempted to high-five Pedro and do a celebratory dance.
.

Fast forward to 3:15 pm.

Bri and I walked to the bus stop together. I told her the story of the 3 Little Pigs while we waited for the bus. She only let me get out the first half of the story before becoming distracted by the stop sign.

The bus came and out popped Annaleise with a huge grin on her face.

A couple more kids exited.

And then came Eric with the biggest smile I've ever seen on his little face.

We talked about their days over some ice cream pops. I asked Eric what his favorite part of school was and he yelled out, "everything!" I then asked him what he did all day and he said, "I don't know." Whatever it was, it must have been great.
Annaleise loves her teacher and has already made a friend. Today was her library day and she was so nice that she even picked out a book for me to read.





She was more than happy to tell me that I had homework.

Yay for school!

PS. I have better pictures, but I'm having issues with my computer and camera. They'll come later.

1 comment:

Jenni said...

Love how excited they were! I was worried when u said the fast forward part...but they loved it all! So glad! And yeah for some you time!