Monday, June 25, 2012

The Day I Almost Died

Okay, that might be just a bit over the top. But there were a few moments where I honestly wished I had a will prepared, just in case. And there were a few other moments where I wanted just a few minutes to write a farewell postcard to my kids.

What happened? This:




Behind the sunglasses and smile are tear-filled eyes and clenched teeth.

In case you doubt the sincerity of how freaked out I was:

-the guy we rented from and showed me how to ride the moped kept telling me over and over "you're gonna be fine."
-Pedro pulled over every minute or two to make sure I was still okay.
-My arms were shaking like crazy--fix that--my whole body was shaking.
-After my first attempt at turning left (at which I almost lost control of the bike and almost crashed into a bus/car/person--I don't even know) I refused to do any more left hand turns unless there was absolutely no traffic anywhere.
-There were at least 3 incidents of my almost losing control and crashing.
-I thought about abandoning the bike and taking a taxi back to the hotel.

Oh the things I do for Petey. That said, I'm still alive and I'm not currently sitting on a moped so I can say in retrospect "it was okay."

We drove our mopeds up to Diamond Head. A drive that should have taken no more than 10 minutes took over an hour because of all the stops to make sure I was still breathing and then a detour at a parking lot so I could get more comfortable being on a bike and then missing the left turn because dang it, it was in a bad spot and there was no way I was making a turn there.

I was okay once we got to Diamond Head--mostly because I could get off the bike. We hiked to the top and got these beautiful views:




The park closed at 6, so we hiked back down and Pedro and I joked about the bikes being towed away (only I wasn't joking). To my dismay after leaving the tunnel I had a clear view of my bike still chained up:




The hike did wonders for me. I wasn't so afraid of the bike riding back down to Waikiki. I handled the turns much better. I wasn't shaking so bad. I wasn't on the verge of tears anymore. And when it was all said and done, I guess it wasn't so bad.



And I'll even admit I'm glad Pedro got me to try something new. He got me to do something I never would have done on my own.

3 comments:

Noodle said...

I'm glad you did it!!! But I would have been scared too!!! the things we do for our loves =)

Amy said...

Oh my goodness, I can just feel the gut wrenching fear strangling you as I read this. Good for you for overcoming one of your fears! You inspire me. As Elanor Roosevelt said "Do something that scares you every day." Good for you!!!

Jenni said...

Geez Laweez!!! I am so impressed! I totally would have been the same way ...if I had even gotten on at all. Good for you!!!!