Sunday, April 22, 2012

Whirlwind Weekend and 65 dollar chapstick

Friday morning we packed our bags jumped in the car and headed up to Kansas City for a couple days. The kids were pretty good. Pedro and I talked a little too much and ended up missing a turn. Luckily we figured out pretty quickly that we were headed towards Springfield and made the necessary U-turn. We paid a little more attention to the GPS after that.
We headed to the new Kansas City Temple. It was beautiful! And we were pleasantly surprised at how well behaved the kids were during the tour. Especially Brianna! She only had 1 minor meltdown at the very end but Petey quickly remedied that.
We went to Olathe so I could go to the race expo. I wanted my shirt! I had registered for the race a while ago and even though I couldn't run it I still wanted all the free goodies that the expo had to offer. I ended up with my t-shirt, 2 tubes of chapstick and some samples of bio-freeze. Not sure if it was worth the inner cringe every time someone said to me "Good luck tomorrow."
We took the kids to Pizza Hut for dinner where the only mishap was Annaleise reaching for something and knocking hot marinara sauce all over my hand. Luckily it was my hand and not the kids--I could hold the yelp inside. We spent the rest of the night exploring a nearby mall and then unsuccessfully trying to persuade the kids to go to sleep. Petey and I were finally able to enter the magical land of sleep at 2am.
Saturday we headed to the Crown Center. We took the kids to the Hallmark Visitors Center, Kaleidoscope, and some other fun kid-friendly places. We had plans to go to Legoland--they fell through when we found out that it was a brand new attraction and hadn't had it's grand opening yet. We thought about going to the aquarium that was right next to it, that thought didn't last long. It would take about 2 1/2 hours to get through the line.
So we headed to a nearby park for lunch and playtime. After that it was time to head home. A very long, very sleepy ride home. Yawn. I'm still tired. Time for a nap.

1 comment:

Amy said...

Yay for well behaved children! And good for you for getting your free stuff that you paid for when you entered the race! I would have done the same thing.
Getting kids to sleep in a new exiting place is exhausting. I hope you get tons of sleep tonight! And you're kids, too.