19 days post injury. Race is in 5 days. I tried running today and lasted a whopping 30 seconds before the pain set in. Back to the elliptical. Back to the bike. Back to swimming. Sigh. I didn't realize how much I enjoyed running until I couldn't. I just figured it was a way for me to have some alone time and shed some extra lbs.
So before despondency sets in I have come up with a new plan of action. It consists of this:
Over the summer I will focus on strength training and improving my speed. My new goal is to be able to run a 5k with an average of a 9 minute mile pace. I will continue doing long runs on Saturday, probably in the 6 to 8 mile range. However, I am NOT a summer runner. I don't do well with heat and humidity, so most of my runs will be on the treadmill or at the indecent hour of 5am.
I'm aiming to do a November/December marathon--yay for winter runs! So for now, it's just breathe in, breathe out. Patience. Patience. Patience.
Monday, April 16, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



2 comments:
Melissa- doesn't it stink when things are not what we would want in life. I feel like throwing a temper tantrum when bad things like this happen. You know- it's not fair, someone as cool as you trying so hard- and then having this happen....
But you know, your positive attitude, has been really amazing through this. I am impressed by your strength. Marathon training isn't for the weak of heart, is it?
You are a great person, and a good example to us of patience and vision. Way to look forward to the future, even when it is hard to- and when it hurts...
Wow- your example helps me get through wimpy trials today, and will probably help many in the coming months as they see your patience and continued work.
You, my friend, are amazing. But isn't exercise the greatest thing in the world? When I hurt my foot I couldn't go for two months, and it was agony. I hope your injury gets better. I didn't read about it, since blogging is not easy now a days, but I hope you heal quickly so you can go back your regular exercise routine. Good luck!
Post a Comment