Thursday, December 15, 2011

This Mom's Rant

It's hard to be a mom.

Wow, understatement of the year and a no-brainer on top of that.

But, really. And yes, I'm completely guilty of that one thing we all try not to do, but most of us are guilty of. Comparing. I see other mom's and I think "wow, she really loves spending time with her kids" or "she's the most organized person ever" or blah blah blah and blah blah blah.

I am not organized or crafty. I have many days that I just want my kids to leave me alone. I don't plan fun adventures with them very often. I don't take extra time to teach them about things--I answer questions when I'm asked, but I don't say "you know what would be fun...?" I don't plan my days or weeks out. I just want to get through them with everybody alive and hopefully happy.

I'm a mom who is just trying to get through today. I'm a mom who's had a rough couple of days. And I'm a very tired mom who just took a hard hit on my self-esteem and confidence when a "well-meaning" person made me feel like I was doing everything wrong because I have a different way of parenting.

I have started hating the words "we just need to try harder...do a little better"

What I'm doing is going to have to be good enough for now, because **** ** I'm tired of trying.

4 comments:

Kim said...

I hear you Melissa. It is hard to be a mom, but you are such a great one.

Sara said...

I never get tired of your honesty!!! I have felt like a terrible mom lately, especially when comparing myself to all those 'super moms' out there. Thank you for sharing your feelings, and know that you are not alone! Loves!!!

Noodle said...

We can only be the best "mom" we can be... We are all diffrent and all have diffrent strenghts and weeknesses... I have days I don't want my kids to even touch me... And I could care less what they are watching or doing as long as there is no blood spilled I just don't care... Does that make me a bad mom??? I don't think so... I think it just makes me appricate the "good" days better... By the Way I think your a great mom just the way you are... And there are things that you do that I chould only dream of having the stength and where with all to do...

John n Shannon said...

I think if more Moms were as honest as you are - we'd feel a little better about ourselves. I definitely felt a little better about myself after reading your post. I definitely have days like that - especially the part where I compare myself to others. Just remember, what we think we see - isn't always true. Some days all we can do is just keep them alive.