Friday, December 16, 2011

I am NOT a potty-trainer failure!

The scored is tied. What was previously Kids 2 points Parents 0 points has now turned to Kids 1 point Parents 1 point.

I will spare you the gross details of potty training adventure #1 with Annaleise. It was bad enough while it was happening and there's no point reliving those awful memories.

Adventure #2 started out good enough. Eric surprised us the day Bri was born by walking into the hospital bathroom all by himself and going potty. We were so happy...we had a kid who would be easy-peasy to train.

Now, my memory is awful so I don't remember how it was when he was 2 and 3 or even the beginning of 4 years old. What I do know, is that as far back as my memory allows, Eric has been having multiple accidents a day. I'm talking 1 or 2 on a very good day, 3, 4, or 5 on a normal day, and 5+ on a bad day. After everything that we suffered through with Annaleise and now this going on, I was brought to my breaking point.

I called the doctor today. I was preparing myself to hear stuff like "well just sit him on the toilet every 30 minutes" or "try different consequences" or maybe just being laughed at.

The doctor was awesome! He took me seriously. He asked lots of questions, asked for a detailed history, and answered all of my questions. He ran through a couple of possibilities it could be and set me at ease by saying it didn't seem to be a behavioral problem. He ordered an x-ray and some blood work.

The results? Eric is WAY backed up. Air pockets that he should have are not there--they've been taken over by his...well, you know. It's caused his colon to swell and press on his bladder causing him to have leaks aka accidents.

Eric's been put on miralax to help get his system moving again hopefully removing the pressure off his bladder. We go back in 2 weeks to see if there's been any improvement.

And through it all, Eric was a champ! Big sigh of relief from this mama.

2 comments:

Stacey said...

yay! Thats wonderful..right? so so very glad that got figured out what a great relief! HUgS!

Noodle said...

Oh wow... I'm so glad they could figure out what was causing the little man his touble... I try to remind Johnny that they are called accidents for a reason They don't try and pee on them selfs on pourpose... But he thinks they do... Silly boy... I'm glad that little Eric don'st have to go on heavy drugs to help him and something as natural as fiber should help him... And what a super mom for helping him threw the x-rays and blood work...