Thursday, July 08, 2010

Meditation

Patience is not my strong point.

Bob suggested I start meditating.

He told me that the mind has a mind of it's own. The mind doesn't want to stay in the present. It's always dwelling on events of the past or thinking about the future. Ain't that the truth? I'm constantly thinking about what I might have done different, or re-calling different conversations wondering if I said the wrong thing. *Which I have a real talent for...I could win a prize for being the supreme 'foot in the mouth' person. On that point...sorry! Just in case. Believe me, I don't mean it. Sometimes things just come out wrong. Or I just say without thinking first.*

Anyways, back to what I was saying. So, if I'm not re-living the past, then I'm thinking of what's coming next. Are we going to stay in Arkansas? What am I going to do this weekend? Blah, blah, blah.

Bob says this affects my patience level. If I'm not in the present, then when a kid comes to me, they're interrupting my past/future thinking and it grates on my nerves. So I need to train my mind to be in the present. So, I've taken up yoga, and I'm aiming for 2 5-10 minutes sessions a day of meditating.

Now if I can just summon enough patience to sit and do nothing but breathe for 5 minutes. :)

7 comments:

De Anne said...

Melissa, I could have written this post myself. From the foot in the mouth, to being stuck in the past/future, and to the patience. Hang in here sister. You are not alone.

Aubrey said...

Good music choice :)

Noodle said...

I need to take "bob's" advice too... I'm slways looking forward to something or looking back and rarely staying in the preasent....Thanks for letting me know I'm not the only one....

kelgrandy said...

Hey, I just started a yoga class as well- In need something to force me to relax as well as stretch! When and where are you going? Your "Bob" sounds like a smart guy!

Lacey said...

I need Bob's number. I am going to start yoga again. When I was doing it all the time, I was able to focus more and get more done. You can only be 2nd on the foot in the mouth, I have proof that I am worse than you on that one.

mel nielson said...

I look forward to reading whether or not this works for you... good luck!

Amy said...

Mmm, yoga really helps me with my stress. I don't know if it is from the breathing, or the stretching (because who doesn't love a good stretch?) but my stress seems to plummet afterwards. And if you do the Biggest Loser Yoga, you get the awesomeness afterwards, and you lose weight while doing it. Win win situation, I think!
Good luck with it all!