Really? It's hard to feel like an adult when a good chunk of your day is spent coloring, reading stories, playing horsey, hide and seek, pretending to be Spiderman and blowing bubbles. Not to mention singing the ABC's over and over, listening to or watching The Little Mermaid and frequent jaunts to the park.
Every once in a while I'm brought back to the reality that I'm a grown-up. Well, at least I'm supposed to be a grown-up. This morning was one of those such times. Sad to say, I didn't play the part of the responsible adult. I played the part of the teenager who just doesn't want to go to school. In my case, to a meeting. I ignored the alarm this morning, my daughter came and woke me up wondering if she's going to school. We got her ready in 5 minutes and she headed out the door with her dad. I went back to bed. I ignored the phone and the clock. When my other 2 woke up I pulled them into bed with me and there we stayed until 10am. It was a blissfully wonderful lazy morning. And then the regret came. Oops. I was supposed to be somewhere at a certain time. No adult came barging into my room to tell me I was going to be late. No mom pulling the covers off of me and practically chasing me out the door. Nope. That's my job now. Not only to shoo my kids out the door, but to get my own self out the door too. So ladies...sorry. I'll try to act my age next time. And next time I'll vote to have the meeting later in the day.



7 comments:
Oh man Melissa, you are so not alone. I suck at getting out the door and I only have one kid. I blow people off all the time. I'm basically a loser. You can come join me in my kingdom. We'll have tea parties that we won't show up to because they're too early in the morning.
And then we'll get together for dinner and promise it will never happen again, even though we know it will. It's okay.
that is why we are called the mommies....we get to write excuses if needed. everyone needs to take a sick day and lay in bed!
I LOVE those days!
What? We are supposed to be adults? This is news to me. I thought the whole point of staying at home with the kids was to recapture our youth while the men grow old with the stress of work! Hmmm. I now have to go and re-evaluate my life. Great! :)
And lazy stay in bed days are great for bonding. Just tell the ladies you were having important bonding moments with your kids. That is responsible, isn't it?
I love your post they are so funny and the picture of you and the kids is so cute. But really I think it is okay to forget that you are an adult sometimes it is what makes life fun.
Ha! I love it. Though we did miss you, I'm glad you had a nice, lazy morning.
hey melissa, you add so much character to real life situations.
I had a REALLY hard time getting up this morning too. Ha. I am having a just as hard a time as Alli with this getting up business for school. I totally need to get my act together.
Allison says she's too sick to go to school like every morning; she dead serious too. I have to be the mom that says, "you'll start to feel better as the day gets on" the whole time thinking, 'when is the soonest I can hop back in bed?'
no lazy morning today though; I wish it. Sometimes it would be nice to have a mom whip me into shape again.
Thanks for the post, I think everyone could relate to it.
-Laura
Post a Comment