Saturday, May 09, 2009

The power of Music

We learned something today. I love learning--especially when it's straight-forward and uncomplicated. I've known for a long time that music can intensify emotions, or even change them from what they were. That is why I love playing the piano so much. I can channel my emotions into it and it becomes a form of therapy for me. (Thanks Kelley for letting me come play your piano). Like a lot of people out there I have my angry music, my sad music, my happy music...etc. Today I learned that music from the Baroque period is especially calming for children and adults alike. It has a natural beat or pattern, if you will, that we learn and associate with from before we're even born. The rhythm is very similar to the way we breathe and what you hear of your mother's heartbeat while in the womb. Thus the calming effect. Interesting, eh?
And so I've changed my playlist to this calming music. I'm hoping to diffuse or even prevent a lot of stressful/tense moments in my home with it. That and the added benefit of teaching my kids to appreciate different types of music. I love classical music, hopefully it will grow on them too.

4 comments:

De Anne said...

We love music in our home too. Feel free to come play our piano anytime.

Pamela Brown said...

That is sooo true. Music can be so calming. Maybe that is why my house is so crazy all the time, because Justin always plays his angry music. I can't stand it.

Amy said...

I love the classics. I didn't know that about Baroque, I thought it was actually the case with Classical like Mozart, which is why we are told if we want our children to be geniuses, let them listen to Mozart. Hmmm, either way, I think they are both wonderful, though my favorite is the Romantic era of classical music.

Anonymous said...

I love playing that kind of music - classical!!! It's so beautiful, my favorite is Finlandia but I don't think you have it on your playlist! The only bad thing about it, is that nobody else likes it at home.