Saturday, May 16, 2009

5 years with Annaleise

Our little Leisey Lu was born May 17th at 10:34 am, weighing in at a whopping 5 pounds and 14 ounces. She was so small, but man she packed those pounds on fast! Especially in the cheeks! She was an extremely happy baby. She started sleeping through the night when she was 2 months old. We thought we had it made! Little did we know...
We should have clued in when she learned how to get out of her walker before she learned how to walk. We should have seen something coming when at 18 months she learned how to take her diaper off (despite putting her jammys on backwards and even duct-taping the diaper to her). We really should have known something was coming when at 18 months she stopped taking naps.
Her first 18 months were so fun! She was high-spirited and laughed a lot and never really put up much of a fuss. She ate, she ran, she played. We adored her! The next few years were quite challenging. When she was 2 years old she got out of the house. She was brought back to me in a police car. When she was 3 years old she locked me out of the house and wouldn't let me back in. And for 2 1/2 years we struggled with her um...well, I guess we could call it her personal hygiene? It wasn't pleasant.
She was still a joy to have around. It just seemed like we had a lot more bad days than good. She certainly kept us on our toes with all her silly things. I lost count how many times she cut her own hair, her brother's hair, her Barbi's hair, her clothes. Um boy--aren't scissors fun?! I think poison control got to know me by name--I felt like I was always calling them about something or other that she had gotten into.
We finally pulled through the terrible 2's, 3's and even 4's. She's become so sweet and wonderful. Still with the spunky little personality. Still an endless amount of energy. She's awesome at talking my ear off. She can get her brother to do just about anything...and for the most part they've become great buddies. She's so excited to have a little sister and after watching her with other little babies I think she's going to be a wonderful big sister. Annaleise has certainly brought a lot of character to our family as well as a lot of surprises and fun. We love you Luly!

5 comments:

De Anne said...

You've been broke in to kids so well that the teen years will be a piece of cake!

Amy said...

I am so glad that you let us get to know her through your post. It sounds like you will always have loads of stories to use as ammo against her should the need arise!

Vudochki said...

WOW! Those 5 years flew by fast. I loved reading this post. Annaleise makes me laugh each time you post about her. She has so much personality and spirit and I think it's AWESOME! What a great mom you are to recognize the negatives AND the positives. It's those fun and exciting memories that make the difficult ones (like cutting own hair) memories to laugh at :)

Pamela Brown said...

Wow seeing those pictures of Annaliese brought back so many memories. I can't believe she is 5. She is such a cutie and very smart. She will be the type of girl that is willing to try anything and will accomplish anything she puts her mind to. Tell her happy Birthday!!!

kelgrandy said...

Wow, she's really given you a run for your money. Your post reminded me of stories I've heard about my sister in law, who by the way, is an absolutely amazing person. Anneleise is a loving girl. I can tell when she's over here that you've invested a lot of time with her. It's neat to watch. Keep up the good work!