Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Reflections on this parenting stuff

I'm a better parent if someone else is around. Or on the phone. I'm less prone to losing my head and temper with the kiddos when that's the case. Is it just me? I was lucky today. I was on the phone with my mom when I walked in the playroom and noticed that, once again, the poop master had at it. And then the other child stepped in it and smeared it around. With my mom on the other end of the line I was able to nicely and quietly get the kids cleaned up, one put down for a nap and the other in the thinking room while I paced around and counted in my head. Lucky for me that I married a wonderful guy who doesn't mind coming home from work to help clean up the mess. He's awesome at getting the kids to do what we want them to do--they don't listen to me that well. This is just one of maybe 2 times out of hundreds of poop master experiences where I haven't completely lost it. Why is that? Is it because I'm afraid of what other people would think of me if they heard me yelling at my kids or seeing me have a breakdown and cry uncontrollably? Maybe it's just easier to blow things off as a no-biggie when someone else is there. If only I could be on the phone every time something like this happens.
Also to note is that this is something that is slowing way down in frequency. That helps a lot. It gives me hope that someday it will completely disappear. And maybe if I could figure out the reasons behind it then I could prevent my other kiddo(s) from doing the same thing.

Now, does anybody know of a really good carpet cleaning service?

3 comments:

Noodle said...

i do the same thing... If i'm talking to my mom she makes me laugh at her messes and gives me a better prespective on the entire thing... like today she pulled out four plant starts... I've been nursing this seeds into little sprots and two seconds with sammy and poof there one there way to the garbage... But mom just laughs and makes me laugh and try to replant them... Oh well nothing I can do now!.. I wish I had some advice on the poop master thing but I don't...sorry

Vudochki said...

It's not easy being a stay-at-home mommy. Especially when the majority of your day your closest to an adult conversation is speaking with a toddler saying "go poopy". I am the same way. It's so much easier to maintain my cool when others are around or I'm on the phone. Maybe it's that little extra support that helps. Feel free to call me when you need to remain calm with your kids :) I'm probably needing the same. I have no idea what to tell you on the poop master. Good luck!

Rachel Benefield said...

There is celestial carpet cleaners. He is a church member. He is actually coming out to my house friday to give me an estimate. He only charges church members 15 cents a square foot. Let me know if you want the number and I will get it to ya! My little noah gives me such a hard time when were out in public, It can be quit embarrising!!! Hang in there!