Friday, February 13, 2009

To Strangle or to Kiss?

*For those of you not in this area and don't know about it--Walmart's been laying people off. I think the number was somewhere around 800 this week. There's rumor of there being more. So far Pedro hasn't been affected, but we have a few friends that have and our hearts go out to them.*

So yes, I've been worried this week. I've been making calculations in my head--trying to figure out how far our savings could stretch and how much food storage we really have, etc. Yesterday afternoon I got an e-mail from Pedro. It simply said, "I've got news to tell you. We'll talk when I get home." Heart-stoppage. I immediately picked up the phone to call him and he doesn't answer. So I write back, "Are you trying to kill me? Just tell me, is it good or bad news?" To stop myself from thinking too much about what might or might not have happened I put in a movie for the kids, got online and played mindless games. It worked pretty well, I didn't hardly think for the next couple of hours. Then I got another e-mail. This one said "Let's just say I still have a job." Sigh of relief. Now I can get on with life. I started dinner and helped Annaleise sign her name on her Valentine cards.

When Pedro got home he pulled us all into the living room to have a 'family talk.' He started out with the whole 'well, you know how the economy is...' Gee babe, can you get on with it please?! He pulls a paper out of his pocket and says his boss gave it to him. He's still trying to play it up that something bad is or was going to happen soon, but aha! I recognize that paper! I know what that is! Huge sigh of relief followed by an intense feeling of wanting to hurt the guy for giving me an afternoon of...well, whatever it was it wasn't very pleasant. Pedro ended up getting a promotion. He laughed at me...probably because he could see my struggle of what do I do--tackle him or hug him? Strangle him or kiss him? I settled for resuming normal breathing patterns.

5 comments:

Noodle said...

Boys can be so mean some times... What a stinker.. But congrates on the promotion yeah for perdro and the family!

De Anne said...

Hooray for a promotion. He should know better than doing that to a pregnant woman. Not funny, but super cool!

Jessica said...

haha, what a meanie! but way to go on the promotion, what a blessing.

Nicole said...

That's wonderful news Melissa! Congrats to Pedro!

Anonymous said...

Oh. My. Gosh.

I'd have killed him.

Literally. Dead. Good thing you're married to him and not me, because I'd totally be in prison.