Sunday, June 29, 2008

Our Story


How did we meet? The weekend before fall semester at BYU-I started some friends of mine decided to have a party. I went with a roommate and when we got there this guy told us to go find another friend and bring him over. I asked him which apartment he was in and he told me #7. So I went over to apt. 7 expecting to find Tyler and Pedro answered the door with a bowl of Dinty Moore beef stew in his hands (why do I remember such weird details?) I asked him if Tyler was there and he told me he didn't have a roommate named Tyler--at this point I started to feel really dumb. So I told him there was a party at #3 and he could come if he wanted. We (my roommate and I) left him to his dinner and went back to the party. Pedro showed up 20 minutes later...and that's that!

Where did you go on your first date? Um, how to answer that? I think we had 3 dates all in one day which in my mind kind of are all mashed together into one date. Um, it was a Saturday--one week after we first met. Around noon he took me to Dairy Queen for lunch, he took me home, I grabbed my radio and we went to the Kirkham building to do some dancing (we were in a social dance class together--a whole 'nother story). After that we made plans to go see Shrek at the drive in theater--which I don't remember watching a whole lot of that movie :) I just have to mention that we got there a little late and there was absolutely no parking in there, so Pedro 'just happened' to have a blanket and some pillows in the back of his car, so we walked in and plopped ourselves on the ground somewhere. After that we went to the nature park and hung out for a while and then got pulled over by a cop driving back to the dorms. What an adventure huh? What you don't know is that there's a whole bunch of fun little stories tied into that one day!

How long have you been together? It will be 7 years the beginning of September-married for 6

Who eats more? Pedro, Pedro and Pedro

Who said I love you first? Me. Kind of. We think. Maybe?

Who is taller? Pedro

Who sings better? Um, how about both of us sing at about the same level of not very good? Unless we're singing along to the radio--then we're okay.

Who is smarter? Well, if you want to know about math, science, statistics, spanish, history, or economics then Pedro is smarter. But hand him a child and tell him to feed it and he has no clue. That's where I'm smarter!

Who does the laundry? Me. He's been demoted to occasionally folding and switching clothes from washer to dryer after he forgot to add the soap one time--I have to mention that was a long time ago when we had to pay to do our laundry, so being out 4 quarters was a big deal.

Who does the dishes? Me. Pedro is wonderful enough to do them if I ask him to. And he cleans the grill and the crock-pot and stuff like that.

Who sleeps on the right side of the bed? Standing at the foot of the bed and looking at it, me. We tend to switch every few years.

Who pays the bills? Me, until I get sick and tired of thinking about money. Then I let him take over for a day or two.

Who mows the lawn? Both of us.

Who cooks dinner? Usually me. He does it when we're having arepas (Venezuelan food) or when I'm having a totally off day he comes to the rescue with hot dogs or pizza.

Who drives when you are together? Depends on which car we're in. If we're in his car, he drives. My car, I drive. Unless one of us is a walking zombie--walking zombies are not allowed to drive--Ever!

Who is more stubborn? Um, we're actually both very passive people. We only get stubborn if it's a huge issue that we're completely on opposite sides of the fence--but that never happens. So, um...I don't know.

Who kissed who first? I think we both went for it at the same time. :)

Who proposed? Pedro did. That's a fun story too. :)

Who is more sensitive? Me, me and me. Poor guy--he never knows why his silly wife is crying or if he's responsible for it.


Who has more siblings? I've got 5, he's got 4.

Who wear the pants? That would be Annaleise.


Thanks Jessica, that was fun! Bringing back all those memories makes me wonder why neither of us took off running! You know that movie "How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days"--well that was us--both of us! I guess some things are just meant to be. I'm tagging the Whitworths, the Kays, and the Rheins--you're it!







4 comments:

Vudochki said...

You are awesome, Melissa! I guess the number 7 is a lucky number! What great stories. I loved your answer for "who wears the pants"!

Nicole said...

Cute picture of you and Pedro... I saw your blog through DeAnne's page. You're a good writer. Your posts always amuse me. :)

jed-laura said...

I loved all the answers. But I would have to agree with the Woods. the "who wears the pants" is a great answer! I laughed super hard.

By the way, Melissa, I was laughing my head off this morning when you answered your phone!

maynardmoments said...

This was a really fun post to read. You two are great! We love staying in touch with you now. You have a beautiful family.