Friday, August 23, 2013

First Week of School

We made it through the first week! Yay!

Monday: The first day was rough as both kids had minor meltdowns. Leise's nerves came out in the form of a stomachache. Eric seemed fine when we dropped him off. We took Leise upstairs and when we came back downstairs we passed his classroom and saw him making an "I'm trying really hard not to cry, but I'm just so darn upset" face. I sent Pedro in, knowing that if I went in I wouldn't be able to leave my boy. Yes, yes...I have a strong attachment to my son. Anyways, he was upset because he couldn't figure out how to do his morning work. Pedro helped him get started and then he was all smiles again.

Tuesday: Annaleise was up and ready to go. Eric was excited too. But then we got stuck in traffic and we watched the minutes go by as we slowly made our way to the school. By the time we made it, Eric was a mess. I opened the door for him to get out and he refused. He started crying, begging me to take him home. I almost did. Yep, that mama's boy thing again. I finally had to pull him out of the van, and then the assistant headmistress took him from me and carried him inside. I wanted to cry as I drove away.
When I picked him up in the afternoon he was all smiles. Turns out he was upset because he thought he was going to be in trouble for being late and he didn't know how to find his classroom.

Wednesday: Eric woke up with a groan "I have to go to school AGAIN?! When is it going to be OVER?!" I didn't have the heart to tell him that he's got nine more months of this. I just bribed him with a trip to Chuck E Cheese if he could finish out this week with no more tears and no more whining. That did the trick!

The rest of the week has been a breeze.

The kids come home with homework every day. Since day one. But it doesn't bother me. At least not yet, I'm sure that will come later. I'm still in "school's back in and I'm so excited" mode.

And then yesterday when Leise came home and said, "Mom, ask me how to spell 'photosynthesis' and then ask me what it means." So I did and she was able to spell and define the word. And at the end of that she added "And the root of that word is Greek!" That's when my chin hit the floor. My 4th grader is now smarter than me! On top of studying her words yesterday, she also had to study for a math test, do a math worksheet and read for 30 minutes. Eric's homework was to read for 30 minutes and do Xtra math online.

Annaleise will be spending her days with the two 4th grade teachers. Her assigned teacher, Mrs. Copeland will be teaching math and science for half the day, the other half she gets to spend with Mrs. Cowell learning english and literature. They're doing it this way so each teacher can teach to their strengths. I'm a fan.

Put in a nutshell, we had a great first week with just a few bumps. I am loving the charter school, both of my kids have wonderful teachers and I'm just super excited for this year.

Plus, don't they just look so cute in their uniforms?

1 comment:

Amy said...

Annaleise looks so much like the 5th grade you. Minus the skirt, of course. :)
What a great school. I am a huge fan of charter schools.