Monday, October 31, 2011

Caffeine does what?!

Keeping in mind that I have anxiety issues:

" ....caffeine is routinely used to induce panic attacks
in clinical experiments. When given caffeine doses of
the equivalent of that in 4 - 5 cups of coffee, nearly half
of panic disorder patients, experienced a reaction that
was indistinguishable from a spontaneous panic attack."

Caffeine can exacerbate or even cause stress, anxiety, depression and insomnia because it interferes with a tranquilizing neurotransmitter chemical in the brain called adenosine. This is the chemical which turns down our anxiety levels - it's our body's version of a tranquiliser. Caffeine docks into a receptor for adenosine and regular use of caffeine is enough to produce anxiety and depression in susceptible individuals.

Hmm. Bu-bye caffeine. It was nice feeling awake, but I think I'll go back to being a little sleepy, but feeling more sane.

Here's to hoping I feel back to normal in the next day or two.

3 comments:

DRB said...

Hey Mel: You weren't surprised with your findings on caffeine were you? Lynn D. gave you your first taste of caffeine when you were in first or second grade. It took us a week to get you down from the ceiling. - Dad

Pamela Brown said...

Wow i didn't realize that. I am going to have to get Justin off the caffeine that could explain a lot :)

Feels Like Today said...

I'm so proud of you for checking things out & doing whats best for your body & you & your family. Everyone wins!!