Sunday, September 11, 2011

Spontaneity

Saturday September 10, 4am

I wake up wondering why in the world I'm awake. Then upon hearing the sound of my husband sleeping I realize why. Sometimes he's loud. I heave myself out of bed with grunts and groans. My legs are still killing me from the squat and lunge workout yesterday. I hobble out to the couch and lay down, thinking sleep will be mine again in a matter of moments. Sleep is elusive.

Out of nowhere a thought pops into my head. Go to the temple. Huh? It's 4am. No, I'll just try to sleep. Like a knock at the door, the thought comes again. Go to the temple. Seriously? No, today is not the day. I'm not planning on it. Then the thought becomes like a child ringing the doorbell incessantly. Go to the temple. Go to the temple. Go to the temple! I realize that even if I choose to stay home, I will not sleep.

I shake Pedro into wakefulness. I ask him if he's willing to watch the kids while I make the trip. He agrees. All of a sudden I feel light and happy. I'm ready and out the door at 5am.

The trip in itself is bliss. I enjoy the peace of early morning and listen to classical music on the drive to Oklahoma City. I arrive just in time to make the 9am session.

It is wonderful to sit and ponder and be reminded of things I've forgotten. I realize that I have needed this for quite some time. And soon after it dawns on me that starting next week my Saturdays will be taken up by soccer games until November. I'm glad I came.

Driving home is much harder than the drive here. I'm tired and my legs are aching badly. My head is pounding from the lack of sleep. Some coke and Excedrin and I'm on my way home. I don't blare loud music to help me stay awake because I don't want to lose this peaceful feeling. In goes my classical hymns. Angels must have been driving with me because I made it home safe and sound.

Sometimes, in the moment, things don't make sense. Like why in the world I would wake up at an insane hour and feel like I need to be in the temple.

It all makes sense now.

3 comments:

Amy said...

What a wonderful thing! I feel so guilty for living so near a temple and not having gone in so long. You are an inspiration. Glad you went, and I am glad you blogged about it.

De Anne said...

I LOVE that you followed that prompting and went. What a wonderful story of obedience.

Nicole said...

What a wonderful experience. I think it's awesome that you jumped right to action and went!