Okay, at first these might sound like weird things to be grateful for, but really in my head, they work.
First of all, I'm grateful the kids and I saw a dog get hit by a car today. I promise you I'm not morbid. It was really sad. But then Annaleise started asking questions about where dead dogs go, where our dog Kuzco is, what happens when we die, when Jesus is coming, where our spirits go, what happens to our bodies. It really gave us a chance to talk about the gospel and what we believe in.
The other thing I'm grateful for (in a twisted way, of course) is when my kids tell me I'm a bad mom. It tells me I'm doing my job. My job isn't to be their best friend, it's to raise them to be capable, independent and responsible adults. Now if they told me they hated me all the time, then yes, I would have a big problem. But when it's just their retaliation for the consequences given them--I say high five to me, and don't let them see me smiling. As a side note, I do want to be their friends too, but being their mom comes first.
Monday, January 24, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



2 comments:
Yay for gospel ops! I love those, though watching a dog die isn't my ideal conversation starter. Sad.
And good job on being a "bad mom!" It is sometimes hard but sure feels good knowing you are doing the right thing.
I appreciated your comment about being a "bad mom". My kids have been saying that to me a lot lately- I haven't taken it as well as you have though! I guess I need to buck up and realize they're just kids and I know what I'm doing is right :)
Post a Comment