Monday, June 21, 2010

Any runners out there?

Anybody else out there get shin splints? All the time?? It's annoying.

I stopped running for 3 or 4 weeks to give my shins a break. I'd have to ice every day after my run and they'd still be hurting. So I took up low impact exercise. A lot of elliptical and walking. I got bored of that so I took up a spinning class. And then I added yoga to the mix. I felt like maybe I was healed up pretty good so I tried a step class. Thirty minutes into it and my shins were on fire. Again. Ice. Ice. Ice. More low impact stuff. I tried the step class again today and got through it just fine and I was feeling good enough so I ran 3/4 of a mile. And my shins started hurting again. Off the treadmill I go. I'm icing while I sit here typing this. Which reminds me, I need to buy some frozen peas or corn. Frozen broccoli just doesn't mold to my leg as well.

Anyways. Any other runners have this same problem? I really like running/slow jogging, but can't do it as much as I want. I was hoping to start training for a marathon, but that has flown out the window until I can figure out what's going on and get it fixed.

J-if you're reading this, I want your input. Run in water maybe?

4 comments:

Pamela Brown said...

I wish I could help you but I have the same problem. If you figure it out let me know. But people that I have talked to here say that when training for a marathon, they only do one long run a week, and then just 1-2 miles once or twice a week. I was trying to run everyday, so I know that is part of my problem. Also if one leg is hurting more than the other Justin said it is because I am putting too much weight on the one leg, so I should strengthen and use the weak leg, and ease off the other. Anyways good Luck!!

Cardon Times said...

I get shin splints and they are not fun. If you can, I would reccommend going to a chiropractor or someone who is certified in gradston. I have had it done and it is really beneficial and helpful for shin splints. Ice, but you already do that. Stretching your shins. You want to be bare foot and curl your toes onto the carpet and push down so you feel a stretch in your shins. (I hope taht makes sense). The last time I had shin splints I had gradston and I think that has helped the most. And I am running regularly now. Good luck.

Dana said...

I have never had them but I hear the same as your friend said about streching. I hope that you can still run there is a 5K in Centerton July 31rst if you are better by then!

Amy said...

I envy your exercise dedication. I wish I could have some of it. Seriously. You are amazing. Though I don't have any advice for you, good luck. I hope you figure it out soon so you can still run your marathon.