
Revenge is the wrong word. Let's try that again.
Sweet Consequences!
See? Revenge just sounds better, even though consequence would be the right word.
Anyhow. After Annaleise's stunt yesterday I came up with my plan. Last night I sat down with her and we talked. We talked about why she did what she did. And then the painful part. I told her she wasn't allowed to ride the bus the rest of this week. My goodness, you'd think I had sentenced her to death by the way she was carrying on! She LOVES the bus. She doesn't care that she has to wake up before the crack of dawn to make it. If I even hint at having to drive her to school she freaks out. So, aha! Punishment fits the crime!
I also put a target on her back by calling the school and telling them what happened, so now I've got 3 teachers on my side making sure she gets on the right bus. Every. Single. Stinkin'. Day.
This morning she was still crying about not riding the bus. She spent a whole hour trying to get to come up with 'deals' so she could ride the bus such as:
How about I ride the bus to school and you pick me up after?
How about just 1 day of not riding the bus?
How about no friends for the rest of the week?
How about I have to clean my room instead?
And my very favorite:
Fine! I'm not going to be happy and that's going to make you sad, and that's YOUR punishment!
I was in heaven. First, because I found a consequence that might actually penetrate that thick skull. And second, I got to sleep in an extra half hour!



6 comments:
Oh Melissa! What a perfect consequence. I am so stinkin' proud of you for hitting it dead on. Next time I'm in need of an effective natural consequence, I'm giving you a call. And smart thinking to involve the teachers :)
You deserve the mom of the year award!!! That is so perfect, and I am sure that she will think twice before getting on another bus and going home with someone else. I still can't believe that she did that, I would have been so scared. I don't think I would have handled it that well. I may have to call you for some parenting tips :)
My favorite is what she said to you about your punishment. My 5 year old has decided she gets to talk to me like that too... we're still working on it :) Nice work :)
happy to hear it worked!!
Melissa! You are such a good mom!
Love it when the consequence works so beautifully! Well done!! =)
Post a Comment