Saturday, February 13, 2010

One month to go

Just one month left of blogs about running and training. Hopefully. Can't promise anything though.

This week was tough. I ran 5.5 miles in 65 minutes on Monday in the snow. I did something to both my feet and they ached for days! Some kind of shooting pain in my left foot where the arch meets the heel. My right ankle and calf were killing me. So I took Tuesday off and rested my body. Instead of running on Wednesday, I did 1 hour on the elliptical (about 4.5 miles) and then did some strengthening exercises. Thursday I skipped again. Friday I went to go swimming and then found out the pool was closed. I ended up walking for about 45 minutes and then my foot started hurting again.

I was a little nervous about today's run, hoping I wouldn't injure my foot and would be able to run at least 5 miles before the pain made me stop. My feet ached for the first 1 1/2 miles and then the pain subsided and I was able to run comfortably. I ran 8 miles in 95 minutes. The last 1 1/2 miles were a killer! I was exhausted! I told myself that if I could just keep going I'd get home sooner, I could drink a couple gallons of water and then completely collapse on the floor. I made it home, drank like a camel and got to collapse for about 10 minutes before kids were clamoring for attention. My legs feel like led now, but it was worth it. I feel awesome!

We'll see if I am able to walk tomorrow. :)

In other news:

Pedro had last weekend off! Such a miracle! It gave him and me the energy we needed to get through another week.

He also took yesterday off. It was so nice to have him home! As ridiculous as this might sound, that was all I needed for a perfect Valentine's Day. Just give me my honey!

He is still stressed to the core and working crazy hours. And when he's not working, he's thinking of work. Even Sports Center isn't enough to clear his mind. April 9th cannot come soon enough! I wish I could do something to help him relax and get that glazed look out of his eyes.

I'm learning that I can do this. As much as I don't like it, I am capable of taking care of all the kids and everything else that goes with it. I'm losing my sanity a little at a time, but we're not completely falling apart. As long as 1 kid is always gone or asleep, I handle things just fine. Snow days and weekends are challenging. Spring break is going to kill me, unless by some miracle it's super warm and sunny and the kids stay outside all day. Hmm. April, where art thou?

2 comments:

Vudochki said...

I have to say I'm completely impressed that you're that fast at running. I'm a bit slow and no I'm not about to say how slow :) Anyway, keep up the hard work!

Pamela Brown said...

Oh Melissa you are so strong, in more ways than one. Very impressed with all the miles you are running and how fast you are running them :) Keep it up you are doing awesome!!