Sunday, February 14, 2010

Hallelujah, he did it!

(Insert Dora theme song here)

Recap of my son's eating habits since he stopped eating baby food:

Food he'll eat all the time:
Pop tarts, granola bars, mac n cheese, yogurt, peanut butter, banana bread, pudding

Food he'll eat once in a while:
apples, bananas, peaches, applesauce, celery, hot dogs, rice

Food he'll never, ever eat:
Everything else!

I decided I've had it. This kid is going to be so malnourished! So tonight I gave him his dinner: apple-raisin pancakes and peaches. He didn't touch it. He had many, many tantrums over the next couple of hours--wanting pop tarts, wanting juice, wanting anything else. I stayed strong. I didn't let those beautiful big brown eyes fool me. I refused to give him anything but his dinner. I finally locked him in his room to play out his tantrums in there. A while longer he came out, I asked him if he was hungry, he said yes and he said he wanted Cheetos. I told him he could have chips if he ate his dinner.

He did.

Excuse me? Did I just say that? Did my son actually eat something healthy? Wait a moment while I search my memory and make sure I didn't dream it...

Nope! He ate all but 4 bites! I'm so happy I could cry.

5 comments:

Noodle said...

That definatly deserves the dora song.... I'm super happy for you just stick to your guns...

Jen said...

yay! congratulations!! Food issues are so frustrating!!

Aubrey said...

Way to stay strong!

mel nielson said...

I've got one like that too... good job, a little tough love never hurts, right?

Feels Like Today said...

Good deal!!!!