Saturday, January 10, 2009

I am Mom. Hear me Roar!






It's that time of year again. Busy season. I am pretty lucky this time around. Pedro and Aaron have an extra guy helping them out. And there aren't too many changes from last years program. Things were looking good. And then Wednesday came. On Wednesday Pedro got the news that he would take over as project lead because the guy in charge had a family issue come up and had to step down. But still, this year has not been as bad as last year. For one, we got all the way to January before the craziness started in. Last time it started in November. I'm learning the words 'testing' and 'installing' means I'll be lucky to sneak a peek at Pedro while dropping off his lunch and dinner at work.

I can do this. I am Mom. I can take care of my kids from the minute they wake up until the moment they fall asleep all by myself. I am tougher than I think. *As long as Pedro is here by 4 am to take over Eric's middle of the night transition from sleeping in his bed to the 'I have to be in Mommy's room.*

And so it began. Wednesday was preschool and swimming lessons. Then we spent the afternoon playing with a train set, a whole bunch of cars, Mr. Papa Head, Fairy dress up, tea party time, and barbies. Aah. Happily satisfied children and a mom that survived day number 1.

On Thursday we made it out of the house by noon and headed to the library. After that I bravely took them to Chuck E. Cheese. I timed it so we would be there when there's a max of 2 other families there. My kids played and played and played. I was Mom of the Year to them on that day. And so we survived day number 2.

Day number 3 didn't fare near as well. I was exhausted. There was preschool, and the rest of the day was spent laying on the couch watching movies. My kids were bored out of their minds! However Daddy came to the rescue. He was home at 7:30 much to my delight, bearing flowers and all. He took over and I went to bed. Day number 3--complete.

Today Pedro got to stay home until 10, and then took off to work. We spent most of the day just playing with toys and at Annaleise's request, watching The Little Mermaid over and over again. Then they got bored. And I found a new use for newspaper. I taped a whole bunch to the table and then unleashed my destructive artists with 4 bottles of finger paint while I made dinner. They had the time of their lives! So day number 4 is almost done and the sanity is still intact.

I am worried about day number 5. Sunday. Lately we've been getting the hang of handling both of our kids and keeping them relatively quiet and the people in front of us relatively cheerio free. But tomorrow is stake conference. 2 whole hours of keeping kids nice and content by myself. Let alone trying to make it to church by 10 am not in our jammies. We've barely been able to make it to 2 o'clock church on time a handful of times. Oh boy. I'm still debating on whether trying to do this or if I should have 'church' at home.

But I am tough. And I can do this. And I'm proud of myself for not having any major meltdowns or packing up any kids into UPS boxes and shipping them to one grandma or the other.

5 comments:

De Anne said...

Hang in there. You can do it and your kids will love every moment of it. You're doing a great job!!

Noodle said...

You are amazing. I could not do all my mommy things with out the help of mister dad. and I only have one... Congrats to you and best of wishes until everything clams down once again.. YOU CAN DO IT!

Jessica said...

You Go Girl!! I know how you feel so I can totally relate. I just take one day at a time. If one day is awful and I turn into Monster Mom I promise myself the next day will be better. Staying inside all day with 2 kids with no one to talk to but yourself until the mintue they wake up till the second they go down can wear on you pretty thin...but if anyone can do it I know you can!

Pamela Brown said...

Good for you!!! That is awesome that you can do all that and be pregnant. How do you get your kids to behave in church?

maynardmoments said...

Wow, you are amazing. It takes an amazing person to play so many kid games all day long. Hang in there!