I'm not talking about other people...the crazy people are us! Pedro and Melissa! Yes, that's right. I'm admitting it.
We've been de-junkifying and we found a box or 2 of mission stuff and a couple of manila envelopes full of letters. Pedro's been going through and reading them since they're his and every once in a while he'll laugh or just throw a letter at me and say 'read this.' The ones he shares with me are letters between the two of us when we were dating/engaged/newly married. A big part of me wants to burn them. Was I really that mushy/gushy/completely embarrassing? I'll keep them as evidence of how crazy 'love' makes you. I just laugh, throw the letters back at Pedro and ask why he didn't run? See! I wasn't the only crazy one...the 'love' made Pedro crazy too--obviously-- since he stuck around!
I used to wish we could go back and have those old 'lovey dovey' feelings that accompany the first year or so, but after reading all that...I'm really glad that I'm in reality ( no matter how harsh it sometimes gets). There's no counting down to 'when am I going to see you again?' or risking hypothermia just to spend one more hour together because it's past curfew or making a choice between studying for a big test or doing something together. Alas, now I count down to 'what time are you coming home to help me with the rascals? I only risk hypothermia when...nope I don't risk hypothermia anymore and as for the choices...it depends on what's up for grabs.
Now babe, when you read this...don't get me wrong. I still love ya...just in a more normal, non-humiliating, realistic way. I love that you put up with my craziness. Thanks for not turning tail and running --even now!



5 comments:
I think it is great that we all can go through the different stages of love. It is fun to look back at the beginning of our relationships and think about how silly we were. But, I agree with you, it is nice to move onto reality and have the 'real love.' Do I even make sense? Ü
It's like the Love Languages guy says, "Real love doesn't start until "The Obsession" runs its course." :) Obsession is fun, but real love is wonderful.
I love reading old love letters! I wish that Travis and I had more to read through. It is a great reminder of how great reality can be! You two are great!
we have tonz of gushy mushy love letters to re-read...I should, it's kind of fun remember the first love stuff.
Keep them! It's so fun to look back on all the silliness. Though some it is rather cute. I'm sure glad that I am where I am now and not stuck writing sappy letters (though, I must admit I do this every once in awhile) or think my life is so hard because I haven't seen Dan in 12 hours! :)
Post a Comment