Monday, June 02, 2008

Escape from Reality

18 days of it. Okay, maybe more like 14 since 4 of them were spent driving. But still--it's so nice to take a breather and forget about a lot of things. The drive was much better than we expected--our kids did great! Staying in a hotel with those 2...not so great. But with a lot of energy drinks, Twilight and Harry Potter we finally made it to Utah. We spent the next few days hanging out with my family, going to my sister's high school graduation, and letting my sisters and parents ooh and aww and pretty much take over our kids.
Then Pedro and I got to take off for 5 days to San Jose California. Wow! I forgot what it was like to be with just him. No packing up diaper bags or planning around naptime and bedtime. Just get in the car and go! We went everywhere! At least it felt like that. Pedro's dream came true when he saw our rental car...a little red-orange Mitsubishi Eclipse...I think he's planning on how to convince me he needs one of those now. Luis made sure we had a gelato everyday - holy cow am I needing to go the gym after that! We hit Santa Cruz, the Redwoods, Capitola, Monterey Bay, Half-Moon Bay, Hearst Castle, San Fransisco, Los Gatos and everywhere in between! We didn't get to sleep in much as my body decided everyday that it wanted to wake up at 6 am. But it was fabulous. Luis and Ale were so much fun to hang out with and I got to hear a lot of stories from when Pedro lived with Luis. Very interesting, very funny. So pretty much that getaway was a piece of heaven.
Then we flew back to Utah, hung out some more for a few more days and then made the drive back. The hotel experience the second time was much better except for Annaleise's jump into the pool when neither of us were looking and therefore Pedro's rescue of jumping in after her and bringing her to the surface---we looked away for 5 seconds! That was a little scary. And the last 3 hours of the trip seemed to last forever. However, now we know that it can be done! I'm not in a rush to do it again, but it's nice to know that we survived it.

2 comments:

Vudochki said...

How awesome is that? You went to all the places I was touring around each time we went to California this year. Capitola is right next to my uncle's house. Did you go to the Monteray Bay Aquarium? Isn't Half Moon Bay beautiful? Well, I hope you continue to be happy to be home. It's crazy how much you can miss home. I think your next trip should be to Boston. :)

Anonymous said...

Hey there,
I just read your comment on our blog, and I am sooo excited to be in contact again. And yes, we totally remember you and your cute family. You guys are so awesome. Your son is a cutie, two kids is quite the adventure huh! Sounds like you had a fun vacation! Good for you. We now have your blog address on ours, so we can stay in touch. yippee!
hugs,
Becky Maynard