My biggest fear when I signed up to run the race was being sick on race day. Lo and behold, Murphy steps in. Two days before the race I'm hit with fever, chills, aches, coughing, headaches, the works! Thursday and Friday I spent most of my time in bed. Friday night I had a priesthood blessing. Saturday morning I woke up feeling great and decided to run the half.
The race itself was pretty great. I felt strong for the first 10 miles. I was thrilled when I saw my time for the 10K, I was right on pace! Pedro and the kids chased me around the course, I saw them at 3 different points cheering me on. All the volunteers there cheering helped me keep going...thank goodness for cheerleaders! Mile 11 and I hit my wall. I slowed down considerably and wondered if I would move faster if I walked. I kept running/shuffling until I got to the hill on mile 12. No way was I running that monster. The best part of the race was that finishing stretch. I saw my kids running towards me, and when they reached me they turned around and ran with me to the finishing line. Talk about support! I was thrilled when I saw my time. 2 hours, 40 minutes and 24 seconds. My goal was to be under 3 hours, but I was pretty certain that I was over 3 hours, so to be 20 minutes under was a great feeling.
As soon as I finished the race the sickies hit me again. It's a great testimony builder to me though. Without that priesthood blessing I know there was no way I could have participated in that race and done so well. Heavenly Father helped carry me through those 13 miles.
Thanks to everyone who supported me through the training process and the race.
*Pictures are on my facebook page...darn computer is being a pain*
Sunday, March 14, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



8 comments:
You are awesome! Love how your kids (and husband) were so supportive. Our families really should be our biggest supporter.
Isn't it wonderful that the Lord knows and loves us so much to know exactly what we need in our time of need. So glad that you hade the strength to complete the run.
Your pictures on facebook and your description here brought tears to my eyes. I'm so excited for you. What an incredible experience for you and your family.
CONGRATS!!! That is a huge accomplishment. You go girl! And to run it when you are sick...that makes it extra awesome.
That is such an amazing accomplishment. You are such a strong person, and I am so glad that you were able to run it, even with being sick. So whenever you are having a hard time you can look back on this and say "I did a half- marathon sick, I can get through this" :) I hope you get feeling better!!! Love you :)
That is awesome Mel! You go girl! I'm so proud of you! Love ya Sista
I love the pictures of the kids running with you... I'm jealous of your detremination and stamina to run 13miles... I would fall over dead at 1.5 I'm so proud of you!!!
I'm glad you were able to run after all that training... so are you going for the full marathon next year? I'm sure you could do it! Congratulations :)
I'm amazed you even thought about running the race being sick the day before. Way to go!!
Post a Comment